Followers,
Not Admirers
by
Soren Kierkegaard
Pt.
2
There’s
a story of yet another admirer – Nicodemus. Despite the risk to his reputation,
despite the effort on his part, Nicodemus was only the admirer. He never came
to be a follower. It is as if he might have said to Christ, “if we are able to
reach a compromise, then I will accept your teaching in eternity. But here is
the world, no, I cannot. Could you not make an exception for me? Would it not be
enough if once in a while at great risk to myself I come to you during the
nights but during the day (yes, I confess it, I feel how humiliating this is
for me and how disgraceful, indeed also a very insulting it is toward you.) I
say “I do not know you!” See in what a way of untrue and admirer and in single
himself!
Nicodemus,
I am quite sure, was well-meaning. I’m also sure he was ready in the strongest
phrases to attest that he accepted the truth of Christ’s teaching. Yet, is it
not true that the more strongly someone makes assurances, what his life still
remains unchanged the more he is only take making a fool of himself? If Christ
had permitted a cheaper addition of follower – and admirer who swears by all
that is high in holy that he is convinced – that Nicodemus might very well have
been accepted. But he was not!
No
post that there is no longer any special danger as yet no doubt is in so many
of our Christian countries, bound up with publicly confessing Christ. Suppose
there is no longer need to journey in the night. The difference between
following and admiring still remains. Forget about danger connected with
confessing Christ and the brother of the real danger which is inescapably bound
up with being a Christian. Does not the way – Christ requirement to the world
and deny self does not this contain enough danger? The admirer never makes any
true sacrifices. He always plays it safe.
Though
in word is inexhaustible about how highly prizes Christ, he renounces nothing,
will not reconstruct his life and will not let his life express what it is he
supposedly admires. Not so for the follower. No, no. The follower expires with
all his strength to be what he admires. And then, remarkably enough, even
though he is living amongst of Christian people, he incurs the same peril as he
did when it was dangerous to openly confess Christ. And because of the
follower’s life it will become evident who they admirers are, for the admirers
will become agitated with him. Even these words will disturb many – but then may
most likewise belong to the admirers.
No comments:
Post a Comment